Wednesday 19 May 2010

So here we are...

The first post; the blank page syndrome. What to write? Actually there's a hell of a lot to write so where do we begin.

We're a year down the line so I have some catching up to do and there's an awful lot going on as I write so let's get started.......

So what has happened in the past year?

Gateway was launched on April 1st 2009 but we didn't exist officially until September. My colleagues (who'll be featuring quite heavily in these pages, I think) and I spent a considerable time getting to know about Gateway and what was happening in our regions.Over the year we have tried to establish networks with the business community and the other support agencies and at the same time trying to develop tools and operating procedures relevant to our areas.

Gateway has launched its Rural Development Grant offering a 75% grant towards items which will assist a new business to develop. In Sutherland we've awarded about £15k of these grants to 12 businesses.

We've also launched a Trade Fair attendance grant to help businesses market their businesses further afield.

And, if you want to see some of my colleagues and Gateway clients in action, have a look at our YouTube Video


What about the Sutherland Gateway? Well I've got an office, a desk and (latterly) a landline. I've met, at the last count, 120 starting or developing businesses and here, 35 businesses have started though Gateway in the last 12 months. I'll try and feature as many of these in the blog and also use these pages to publicise forthcoming events and opportunities. And that's the end of the first post. Simple








Kris Scott
of North West Plumbing, Skerray, was one of the first recipients of Gateway's Rural Development Grant. Tel: 01641521833